Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Spaceflight 2013 cover story (post 69)


Positive comments about my 2009 on-line collectSpace posts and Astrophile article concerning my Apollo 11 experiences convinced me that there was interest in the story of  how I covered the Apollo 11 launch as a 19 year-old college journalist. My color slide photos received a special warm reception because they were so different from the classic NASA images for Apollo 11, especially  how they had maintained their color and clarity over more than 4 decades. It took a while, but I finished a longer article based on my previous writings. Titled “Apollo 11: Eyewitness to History,” it appeared in the January, 2013 issue of Spaceflight (pgs. 26-29, vol. 55, no. 1), with one of my Saturn V photos as the cover picture. For the 45th Anniversary of Apollo 11 this year,  I decided to post some of the pictures on Facebook. This modest undertaking evolved into the 69 posts (only one more to go!) on Space Hipsters and a new blog which you have been reading. A number of you have suggested a book so I plan to explore my options over then next couple years. The Fiftieth Anniversary of Apollo 11 in 2019 would be an appropriate year for publication—stay tuned!

#Apollo11Eyewitness  Post #69






No comments:

Post a Comment