Friday, July 11, 2014

Apollo 11 crew walkout (post 40)


Astronauts Armstrong, Collins and Aldrin briskly walk down the ramp in their spacesuits from the MSOB towards the transfer van. There are loud cheers; hundreds of flashbulbs go off. Photographers jostle for position, elbows flying, as we try to get off some shots. I am able to take 5 photographs but I have no idea whether they will turn out (I am using Kodachrome slide film, long before digital cameras allowing instant review). All three astronauts have a smile, Armstrong cocking his head a little, Collins looking serene, and Aldrin with a big grin. Armstrong and Aldrin each give a “thumb’s up” as they approached the van. In so many ways this is the emotional high point of my trip—I am among a privileged few who see the last steps on Earth of the first men to walk on Moon. It is a sight I will never forget.

#Apollo11Eyewitness   Post #40   July 16, 1969 Events

http://apollo11eyewitness-chudwin.blogspot.com/

#Apollo45


No comments:

Post a Comment