Tuesday, June 10, 2014

A plan to see Apollo 11 blast off to the Moon (post 1)


As some of you may know, I am obsessed with the Apollo 11 mission. A friend and I were the only college journalists officially accredited by NASA to cover the mission, and were among the youngest with press credentials. I recently found some of the 1969 documentation of my coverage which I will post in the weeks ahead. The Apollo 10 flight successfully ended 45 years ago today so it appeared that Apollo 11 would indeed be the first try at a lunar landing. I was just finishing my freshman year at the University of Michigan and was a reporter for the Michigan Daily. I hatched a plan to try to cover the launch. The first step was to find a place to stay since I knew lodging would be at a premium. Right after Apollo 10 landed, I reserved a room at the Sea Missile Motel for July 13-18, sending them a $10 deposit (remember this was pre-inflationary 1969). This is the post card I received back showing the motel and confirming the reservation (pre-internet). The next step would be to obtain press credentials which was a much more difficult task.
‪#‎Apollo11Eyewitness Post #1  (May 26, 2014)

No comments:

Post a Comment