Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Convincing the Daily to send me (post 2)

The next step 45 years ago in my plan to witness the Apollo 11 launch was to get press credentials. I had joined the Michigan Daily, the independent student newspaper, as a freshman reporter. By May, 1969, the end of the school year, I was an assistant night editor--a position way down on the totem pole. The Daily had a long and honorable tradition of covering national political stories, but those assignments usually went to juniors or seniors. My ace in the hole was that I was practically the only person in that left-leaning building at 420 Maynard St. who had an interest in science and space. So when I talked to the Senior Editors about covering Apollo 11, they agreed-- provided I cover all my own expenses. Next stop: NASA Public Affairs!‪#‎Apollo11Eyewitness Post #2
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment